History may also be read in
music scores and learnt
through poets' words!
The goal of this project is to produce the CD “ESPELHOS (mirrors) – portuguese songs”. Portuguese poetry (popular and erudite) will be sung by Cristina Rosal and Ana Milena Gaspar. They will be accompanied by the musicians Pierre Gillet (Guitars – 6 and 7 strings), Miguel Rosal (Bass and Double bass) and Thibault Dille (Accordion). 14 songs will be recorded.
In this project Poets’ words follow a line of joyous and sound affections composed of “saudade”, oceans and people.
“ESPELHOS” has already been preformed in Brussels and Brazil in 2011. An outcome of this is the desire to record the musical experience into a permanent record (CD) available to a greater number of people.
“ESPELHOS” is a musical project of the association D’ARTE, with artistic direction of Cristina Rosal and the participation of young Portuguese and Belgium artists.
D’ARTE – a non-profit organization under Belgium law – was created in 2002 in Brussels. Since then it has been active in its mission of producing and promoting shows around Lusophone music. Multiple concerts and artists meetings have been organized, giving priority to support young professional or amateur musicians.
The funds collected through this “crowdfunding” initiative will finance the production costs of the CD, from the studio recording to the final product.
The CD will be produced in March 2013 and its presentation will take place in early summer 2013.
The participants in this project were born in Mozambique, Lisbon and Brussels and they share the same sense with regard to singing and music composing.
They say about themselves:
“I try to sing the words of my places – Mozambique, Brazil and Portugal”.
Ana Milena Gaspar
“I have already participated in multiple musical projects as a singer. My experience goes from musical comedy to jazz and to more erudite music. I have been always deeply attached to the Portuguese music, which I kept developing during my jazz singing studies in the «Koninklijke Conservatorium Brussel»."
“I am a Belgium guitar player, passionately fond of Lusophone music (popular and erudite). I am the great grand child of Brazilian musician (from Ceará) Euclides da Silva Novo. I got specialized in seven strings guitar and take part in intimist or danceable music projects around samba, choro and, of course, fado!!!!”
“Music makes part of my life since childhood. I have a quite rich and varied musical education. I have started with piano, then guitar, and now I play bass and double bass. I mainly accompany Portuguese and Latin American music.”
“I seized hold of accordion in 1995, ambition perhaps triggered by toys catalogues … Then, encouraged by my parents, I embraced a university education that opened new horizons. I met jazz in 2004 and got the "Toots Thielemans Jazz Award" from «Koninklijke Conservatorium Brussel» in 2009.
Since then I play with different groups a variety of music styles, in Europe and elsewhere. All about my universe in: www.thibaultdille.com ".
Discography of the different participants in this project:
- OAKTree – à dos d’âmes – MognoMusic – 2012 (Thibault Dille) ;
- Toute l’eau de mes rêves – Thierry Hodiamont – Midnight Muse Records – 2011 (Thibault Dille)
- Parceria – Osman Martins & Pierre Gillet - Mogno Music – 2010
- Impossible Rêve – LuzChabane Chante Brel – LuzChabane Productions – 2010 (Thibault Dille)
- Filochards – Culture Et Flonflons Flandres 2009 (Thibault Dille)
• The Heart Of The AcousticGuitarChapter 2 – Fabien Degryse Trio – Midnight Muse Records – 2009 (Thibault Dille)
- Zatten André – Duo Therain/Dille – Culture et Flonflons Flandres – 2009
- Eveil aux langues en chansons – Communauté Française de la Belgique – 2004 ( Cristina Rosal)
- Caminhos Iludidos - Fados e Guitarras – Cristina Rosal – D’ARTE /Autrement dit - 2003
To promote this project, an e-mail will be sent through D’ARTE mail list, which contains 1900 addresses. Our statistics show that in average around 21% of our recipients open our messages, which leads to an attendance of our concerts of approximately 400 people (2 sold out concerts in a 200 seat venue).
We think it realistic that 20% of that loyal public to D’ARTE (80 people) will make a financial contribution to the project. We expect an average contribution of €40, which means that we should be able to raise €3,200.
We also count on:
– Social networks of each participating artist.
– Small meetings/parties where this initiative will be announced and through which we’ll try to collect some funds.
– One regular sponsor of D’ARTE has already confirmed its participation.
– As soon as the product (CD) is finalised we’ll organize presentation concerts.