Food, Books, Journalism
THE STORY BEHIND THE PROJECT
Welcome ! First things first, let me introduce myself: I’m Valentine Benoist, founder of My Hungry Valentine, the London-based online restaurant guide.
After a few years living on the Eurostar, I settled down back in London in 2015 after a detour to Paris, working for Le Fooding restaurant guide. I spend more or less my life eating and drinking my way through London, or writing about it for various publications.
At that time, I couldn’t really find any food guide comfortably settled in its time, covering London. So it all started with myhungryvalentine.com website, to share my restaurant reviews with the French community struggling to know where to dine out.
The pitch? Anything but the sad pub, or the trendy-bling banker’s haunt... Last but clearly not least, all reviews are written fully independently and anonymously, at our own expense.
One thing leading to another, the website grew bigger, the public widened and became more international, while events started highlighting the up-and-coming chefs.
À TABLES LONDON, THE PROJECT
In 2017, the project of a bilingual print edition of the guide simply became obvious, gathering the 50 essential restaurants making the taste of London.
120 pages of straight-to-the-point bilingual reviews, splendid pictures you’ll drool over, but also a super practical organisation by neighbourhood.
À TABLES LONDON is a beautiful book to keep, browse, leave casually lying around your coffee table and give to everyone. The ultimate guide to (re)discover one of the most exciting gastronomic scenes in the world.
WHO’S GOING TO USE IT ?
First, why not you? But also your globetrotter auntie, your bon vivant cousins, your aesthete mates, those who always take you out to rubbish restaurants, your city break buff pals… And of course the whole world, for all the Secret Santas seasoning the month of December!
But more widely:
The Londoners lost in the constant manoeuvring of just opened / already closed, totally in / almost out restaurants. La crème de la crème of timeless eateries, in a word. For the other, newer places, there will always be myhungryvalentine.com.
The Frenchies wanting to live their urban getaway across the channel to the fullest, as real locals. The touristic guide dusted off, with lots of precious insider tips and the must-eats that will wash away forever the clichés about British food. Au revoir greasy fish & chips and sloppy beans on toast, bonjour modern British cooking and the very best of cosmopolitan creative cuisine.
WHAT’S IN THERE?
- 120 pages 100% dedicated to London food, from the unforgettable tasting menu to the ace sandwich.
- 50 reviews of the essential London restaurants.
- A fully subjective list of our top 10 must-eats.
- 5 cool illustrated city maps to locate the restaurants by neighbourhood.
- A bilingual French-English edition.
- An A5 format to take it with you everywhere.
- A quality print on a delicate uncoated paper.
All of this before everyone else and for a very cool price, as we offer delivery fees especially for the campaign!
WHEN WILL YOU RECEIVE IT?
As soon as our campaign ends on 31st October, we will wrap the guide up, launch the printing process and lovingly prepare the boxes to send your books and their pretty goodies directly to your place for early December 2017… The perfect excuse to order a stack of Christmas presents in advance!
WHAT ARE WE USING THE MONEY FOR?
To bring this project to life, we really need your help! We have set our funding target at €8,500. By pre-ordering the book, you help us finance:
- The printing cost for 1,000 copies of the guide (40%).
- The creation of a new visual identity and the layout design of the guide (34%).
- The production and delivery costs of your pretty goodies (18%).
- The Kiss Kiss Bank Bank administration fees (8%).
The funds will go to My Hungry Valentine (Valentine Benoist) and will be used of course for to make the À TABLES LONDON project happen.
WHY SHOULD YOU HELP US OUT?
1. To support a small independent editorial project, which will not exist without you.
2. To receive your copy of the first My Hungry Valentine guide before everyone else, and never have a crap meal in London ever again.
3. To show off with our cracking goodies designed just for you:
- The 100% cotton tote bag, printed with our brand new logo, so practical it will never leave your shoulder. Light and ultra resistant, you can cart it along for years without losing a handle.
- The brass keyring, so chic your keys will directly cling to this graphic plaque engraved with our logo. In collaboration with our talented graphic designer Alice Bosc who has more than one string to her bow, with her homeware brand making your daily objects a thing of beauty.
- The illustrated London maps in limited edition, created and signed by Alice (once again), so pretty you’ll put them up on your living room walls. You just have to decide which neighbourhood thrills you most: North, South, East, West, Central? The choice is yours.
A large A3 format, screen-printed by the very sharp Tuckshop - Print Club London studio; on a beautiful thick paper you will let you the pleasure to frame.
- The embroidered kitchen apron, so gorgeous you’ll want to turn your flat into a supperclub. 100% washed cotton for a slight faded finish, made in England please and super resistant. Straight from Labour & Wait workshops, the paradise shop of vintage and refined cuisine in Shoreditch.
4. To give us wings and enable us, thanks to the success of this first edition, to launch a whole collection along these lines: bars, markets, grocery shops… We’ll cover all things food around the city!
5. Because you’re super nice.
WHAT IF WE EXCEED THE TARGET SUM?
Joy and happiness! If your support exceeds our expectations, we will be able to print more and more copies of the book, and spend weeks hitting on bookshops and concept stores to hand it out widely.
Thanks a million for your help!
P.S.: we’re still finalising the layout of the guide and some of the details of the objects. And because we’re quite on the perfectionist side of things, the final versions may be a tad different from the pictures above to give you a sneak peak. Thanks in advance for your understanding and support.