Water scarcity overview :
Maybe you heard 4 billions people face at least one month blue water scarcity per year and 500 millions are facing severe water scarcity during all the year.
Today two kind of solution exist :
- Retention basin or 1bn $ desalination plant : efficient but highly capital intensive not affordable for developed countries or individuals.
- Low cost, low tech solution (such as simple solar still) but not efficient enough to be sustainable
In front of this challenge we are proud to introduce you IHYA :
the mainstream, open source, fresh water technology :
IHYA is a multi effect distillation unit with two majors innovations :
- Use of solar energy to power the unit
- A smart thermal exchanger optimizing solar energy transfer throughout the day.
- A vacuum room to allow low temperature evaporation.
And that's why
- IHYA is as big as a Vespa.
- IHYA uses only solar energy.
- IHYA is modular.
- IHYA is innovative. We like to repeat it ^^.
- IHYA is afordable for developping countries
Those innovations will allow farmer and individual of developping countries to rely on themselves for water production.
Our goal is to develop the technology and, when it is going to be mature, to release it for free We belive that this solution has the potential to help a lot of people and could be further optimized by the help of specialist from all over the world.
Today the following steps has been completed :
- design of the solar collector, exchanger and pumping system (on paper everything is fine)
- validation of technical solution for low cost prototyping (and production ?)
We need now to investigate the following points :
- validation of design by performance testing
- industrialization of the final solution
IHYA team :
-Karim is a O&G Process and Safety Engineer.
-Wajih is an operational research engineer
- PIE (Prototype Initial d'essai) which leaked quite a lot :D.