Aerovengers - Measure Air Quality - Live consciously
Make Air Quality visible with real time information
Aerovengers - Measure Air Quality - Live consciously
Interested in this project? Follow us on www.aerovengers.com
- 9 out of 10 people worldwide breathe polluted air
In Europe, the 'Eurostar' region (London - Paris - Brussels - Amsterdam) is particularly fragile.
- If we want to improve our Air Quality, we first need to measure it more accurately. Not with satellite data, which is extrapolated so it shows nice on the screen. But with actual readings, because your street can be totally different than the street 200m away
- Too few measure points exist today, but now the technology is available to build small & portable Air Quality sensors
- We want to build sensors that provide you with accurate & real-time measurements. That are portable so you can take them anywhere (home, office, walking, biking, ...). And design them cheap enough so we can have a rich sensor grid. The sensor will come accompagnied by an app, allowing you see your measurments, learn more about Air Quality, find tips & suggestions on how to improve your situation and share the data back to your communities.
- We have been running tests for 1 year. Mostly on the technology side with a very simple design. Now we are ready to move to a 2nd, more consumer-friendly design.
9 out of 10 people worldwide breathe polluted air*
(*) Study done by WHO in 2018, when USA still sponsored
* NOx concentrations in Europe *
And it kills 7 million people every year. The European Environment Agency (EEA) describes air pollution as the biggest environmental health risk in Europe.
The "Eurostar region" (i.e. Paris / London / Brussels / Amsterdam) is particularly affected because of the heavy traffic & dense concentration of living.
We strive for better cities - And help you to improve it
* Cyclist making his way through a busy street *
The idea for Aerovengers started almost 1 year ago. As young adults living & working in a large busy city like Brussels, each of us had his own thoughts on how Air Quality was effecting daily life:
Colienne deliberately stopped walking to her office during rush hour. Trying to avoid the bad air in the busy streets, she rather took the bus or tried working from home.Jarlath worried about the air quality his children had to breathe, while he was walking them to school every day. And Simon could sometimes taste the dust particles when riding his bike and waiting at a red light or when being passed by a bus. Making him take the metro during the most busy days.
Each individually, we were trying to find solutions to better our lives, but we had little information to base them on.
Air Quality is local - and we need to create more measure points ...
* Air Quality data map - how it should like *
Public Air Quality data are available, but still have many flaws, for example:
- Data are based on 'high level' measurements and are extrapolated (i.e. satellite data are taken from Air Quality measurements in the top layers of our atmosphere and extrapolated into a general score for a city or region).
Remember the NOx map above? That one is made with satellite data. It looks scary, but inside the red zones there are green streets available. We are just not able to measure them yet.
- Far too few local measure points are available to be relevant for your situation
Public Air Quality data is a start, but what we need is something more. We need accurate, real time and hyper-local measurements to rely on daily.
But if we only had a solution to measure the air quality right here & right now?
Then Simon could have taken a different route with his bike & Jarlath a different approach to school with his kids. And Colienne could have enjoyed here morning stroll to work when traffic was less dense and the air had cleared up.
From a first customer review, we learned that 70% of the people is searching for local Air Quality measurements (yes, just like you), but only 23% of those people actually finds what they are looking for, being data they can read and put into practice whenever they want.
And an even smaller percentage (only 3% of the correspondents) measure Air Quality today by themselves with some sort of sensor.
Technology allows us to measure our Air Quality faster / more accurately / and cheaper than ever - everywhere we go
Evolutions in sensor design make them smaller & smaller.
With today's sensors we can track:
- Dust particles (PM 2,5 and PM 10)
- Volatile Organic Compounds
- Carbon Monoxide (the odourless killer)
- And many more
And we can fit all this technology in a portable design for you to use:
- Outside on your bike / while jogging or walking
- Inside in your house
- And at the office
Meet the Aerovenger
* Aerovenger sensor + base station - 2nd version *
Our final goal is to produce an Air Quality Sensor, together with its charging base
- Is small (the size of your mobile phone)
- Has a stable base (with the battery in the bottom)
- Has its air vents on the top side to sense the air quality
- And can give you an immediate signal whether the Air Quality is good or bad (a small LED light)
- Is designed to fit nicely with the sensor. It has an elevated charging base in the middle so it can 'lock' the sensor in place and lower the possibility of knocking it over.
- Can be placed on your desk or in a central place in the house
- Allows extra room to store other items you always need when you go out (your bike keys, your wallet, ...).
- And can be transformed into a wireless charging base in the future
And this is combined with the Aerovenger App:
* Aerovenger App - first test screens *
Measurements are one thing, providing actionable insights another.
Together with our sensor, we will develop an app that:
- Checks real-time Air Quality and its components
- Makes suggestions on how to improve your Air Quality
- Helps you find the best route with the cleanest air
- Stores all measurements into your different locations and allows you to generate reports from these data
- Shares data with external people and lets fellow citizens benefit from measurements you decide to make publicly available
- Create communities (both private such as your family as well as public) to share Air Quality data together
Our long term goal
We believe that with expanding the number of measurements, we can change our own lives (by conscious decision making) and the lives of those around. We want to do this by making the problem visible and more concrete. We want to create a platform to discuss the issue of air pollution and poor air quality which affects us all so we can have a well-founded dialogue. Politicians, decision makers, entrepreneurs, large corporate managers, ... everybody that can have an impact should be able to see and understand what he can do about Air Quality.
Thank you for helping us creating a better world !
Waar dient de collecte voor
Our prior actions
Over the past year, we have been working on version 1 of our Air Quality solution.
We tested all sorts of different sensors, programmed them together with our chip, made the results readible from a distance, etc...
The main goal was to see our technology working.
In terms of design, a very basic 3D printed model was chosen, as can be pictured from the video below: