Be part of the new wave of film photography!
Help us create the photo lab of our dreams!
Be part of the new wave of film photography!
Hey, we're Raph and Cole.
We're building a modern film photo lab right here in Brussels.
So why film?
We've been best mates for well over a decade. We were born during the dawn of digital photography. We grew up with the luxury of being able to take as many pictures as we wanted. We started shooting film some years ago, after borrowing our parents' old SLRs and we instantly fell in love with the film look. Film was a brand new experience for us - a creative challenge that allowed us to focus on the moment.
Fast forward a few years and we found ourselves down in sunny Australia, where the coffee is good and everyone shoots film.
Walking around in Melbourne we saw many people our age shooting film cameras. This is when we realised that film is back and here to stay. We were lucky enough to both land a job at FilmNeverDie in Melbourne, a staple of the Australian film photography scene. Cole managed the lab and Raph repaired cameras. Gary, living legend and FilmNeverDie's creator took us under his wing. He taught us everything we needed to know to run a 21st century photo lab.
When our visas came to an end we headed back to Belgium. Once home we saw that there wasn't much cohesion in the local film community. We met a lot of film shooters who were looking for more than their labs could offer...
We couldn't find a lab that fulfilled the 'HOLY TRINITY' of film developing; QUALITY, SPEED and AFFORDABILITY.
This is understandable. Most technologies used in today's film labs are from the 90s and are very difficult to adapt to modern needs. They are old and run on outdated systems and outdated hardware. The challenge for a modern lab is to use that high quality scanning and processing equipment and keep up with the needs of today's film shooters where everything is instant and online.
So we decided to do it ourselves!
With Gary's help we brought FilmNeverDie's unique and hyper-efficient order processing system back from Australia and tailored it to fit the needs of the Belgian film scene.
After months of working and planning, our dream is finally taking shape. We've found the perfect spot, right between Saint-Gilles and Forest in Brussels.
- Highest resolution scans only. No need to choose what resolution, your scans will be sent to your email in high-res by default. We will not compromise on quality.
- Blazing fast turnaround. Our standard developing turnaround is 24 hours for colour film and 2 to 3 days for black and white. We've modernised those outdated scanners and they now run on high-end hardware. They run faster and smoother than ever, almost as fast as Usain Bolt.
- Developing with us is easy. Drop off or send in your film and you'll receive an email with your scans once it's ready. No USB sticks, CD-ROMs or messenger pigeons to worry about.
- Can't make it to the store during opening hours? No worries! We have a dropbox outside our store, so you can drop your film off at any time of the day or night.
- A friendly store and community space. Come say hello, try out a camera or have a cup of coffee while browsing a photo book.
- Looking for a new camera? We know it's hard to find a camera that works as it should. Our cameras have been checked and refurbished where needed. All cameras come with a 6 month warranty, so don't worry, we've got you covered.
- We brought a little bit of Australia back with us. We're proud to announce we'll be stocking FilmNeverDie's popular IRO and KIRO 35mm film, along with their cool merch!
- Film photography doesn't have to be hard. We'll be offering various courses that will help boost your confidence as a film photographer. We'll cover everything from film developing to shooting different formats, perfect for all skill levels.
- Community is key. We'll be holding regular photowalks and community exhibitions. These are great ways of meeting fellow film shooters and learning along the way!
- We're not alone on this planet.To lower our environmental impact we won't be offering prints, as we find this a wasteful part of film industry. We exclusively use recyclable and recycled materials. We're always looking for ways to reduce our waste and carbon footprint.
We know that it can be challenging when you're starting out in film photography.
It can be hard to decide which camera or film to choose, or even how or where to get your film developed. That's why we think community is key. Bringing people together means we all get to learn along the way. We're here to bridge the gap, whatever your level of experience, we're here to help!
We've set quite a few different rewards, so there's something for everyone!
Whether your dream is to have your pictures in an exhibition or if you've always wondered how a lab works behind the scenes, we know there's a reward you'll like!
Don't shoot film? Don't worry!
Are you looking to donate a little something but you aren't interested in one of the film-related rewards? That's okay! At the very bottom of the page there is a 'Make a donation' box. Thanks so much! Come have a coffee with us when you drop by our store!
Alternatively, we have created a reward together with BXL Refugees that will allow you to gift a course to an underprivileged person. This is a full black and white developing course but we will cover the remaining part of the costs. We’re fortunate enough to be in the position we’re in and think this is a good way to give back to those dissavantaged .
Choosing the KIRO 400 reward is your chance to be one of the first in Europe to shoot KIRO 400!
We're really excited to bring FilmNeverDie's merch and their IRO and KIRO series film to the European market. They are a leading name in the Australian film scene and we think you will love shooting their film.
To everyone who's donated and pitched in, we're super grateful for your support.
Every little helps and you're allowing us to build the lab that we've always dreamed of. We can't wait to start developing your film!
There's one more thing: we've got a big surprise. Something that will come in handy, whether you shoot a lot of film or if you're shooting on a tight budget, we know you'll like it.
Waar dient de collecte voor
We put a lot of love and work into our project. Unfortunately, one of our sponsors backed out due to the pandemic. We're almost there and this campaign will help us finance the last steps in setting up our lab!
Here's a quick breakdown of how our €5000 goal will be spent:
- €500: Marketing of our project. This marketing budget helps us spread the word in the film community!
- €1700: The last bits of furniture, lighting and building supplies to finish fitting out our shop. Our shop is your shop and we want it to look great.
- €600: The last computer components and software packages for our modified scanners. This will let us scan your film even faster!
- €2200: A more advanced B&W processing system. Our old Jobo CPP is showing its age. A newer processor would let us run B&W batches faster!
Stretch goal: 7500€
Making it to our stretch goal would let us purchase another film scanner. This means we'd be 30% faster at scanning your film!
If we hit our main goal we will also have a BIG SURPRISE for all the local film shooters. We can't say much about it now but it will save you A LOT of money on developing and scanning and bring a lot of joy to your life ;)
Kies je beloning
GIFT a black and white developing course to those less fortunate
- Backers: 2
Every little helps!
- Backers: 6
PRESALE: 5 rolls of FilmNeverDie KIRO400 35mm film
- Backers: 8
PRESALE: 5x high-resolution develop and scan voucher (5% discount)
- Backers: 3
PRESALE: 10x high-resolution develop and scan voucher (10% discount)
- Backers: 2
PRESALE: Black and white developing course
- Backer 1
Print for print!
Behind the scenes
- Backer 1
- Beschikbaarheid: 9/10
Become part of Mori Film Lab
- Backers: 4
- Beschikbaarheid: 6/10
I can't believe you've done this!
- Backer 1