Books, Art photography, Art & photography
Phenomenon in Gaza is a photobook in progress. Created by two Palestinians artists, Mahmoud Alkurd, photographer and Momen Ashour, writer, the book will be published by Images Plurielles Publishing, a French publishing house.
These two artists living in Gaza present us their daily life through photographic montages and fiction. It is their way to use the symbolic power of image and fiction in order to express the Palestinian poeple's suffering without exposing the brutal and violent reality.
Mahmoud Alkurd is a passionate photographer, he kept on practising photography along with his British literature studies. He has been getting more and more popular abroad: he participated in the Palest'In & Out festival in the French-Palestinian Cultural Institute in 2015 and his work will be exhibited in the UK and the US in 2020.
Mo'men Ashour is a Palestinian refugee based in Gaza, originally from al-Lod city. He is an English Literature graduate who is fond of writing and truly believes that writing is one effective way to spread truth and fight oppression. He is now seeking to obtain a Master's degree in International Relations in order to integrate his writing talent with international laws in order to reveal the true situation of Palestinians and contribute in the liberation of Palestine.
The book will include texts and images. The pictures will be in colors, with a hardcover. Public price is €25 ($28) in France. The book will be bilingual, in French and English in order to be accessible to a majority of people.
The release date is in May 2020.
In France the book will be available in book shops, online and on our website www.imagesplurielles.com.
From abroad you can buy it from our website www.imagesplurielles.com and online. We will export the book abroad but we don't know in which shops yet.
In any case, wherever you live, you can pre-order the book in this crowdfunding, for a cheaper price to support the project and receive it in advance!
For 1,000 copies:
40 photographs and several short stories based on real characters and events
Size: 8.6x8.6 inches
Soft touch hardcover with shinny letters
Mat coated paper
Phenomenon in Gaza temporary cover:
Phenomenon in Gaza will be part of a future series created by Images Plurielles Publishing. The "Phenomenons in Societies" series is a project that our publishing house has been working on for a long while now. Composed of four photographic books, for a start, this series aims at dealing with global facts and current events through photography. In addition to Phenomenon in Gaza, you can find Veronique de Viguerie's photoreports in Iraq and Yemen as well as Laurent Elie Badessi's work on children and guns in the US.
Images Plurielles is the publishing house leading this project. It is a French independent publishing house based in Marseille (France) and founded in April 2000. We have been publishing contemporary photography since then.
Images Plurielles chooses artists from all around the world who carefully pick up their subject and are able to talk about it sincerely and rightfully since they live in this environment. Many projects have a multicultural dimension, for example by looking for differences and sililarities in countries.
Every photograph illustrating this campaign is the work of Mahmoud Alkurd. The book cover was realized by graphic designer Eric Bediez.
We decided to organize this crowdfunding in order to support this book. Donations will cover the printing costs, who represent the biggest part of the budget. The more we collect money, the bolder and nicer our printing choices can be.
We also applied for grants in various public and private institutions which support those types of projects.
- Printing: choosing a printing compagny is very important (skills, quality, experience, equipments...). To make sure the printing goes well, we will go check on the process on the printing day.
- Book design: the book design is realized by a graphic designer.
- Image treatment: before the images are included in the book, their quality have to be improved on a software by a professionnal. He or she makes sure they can be printed in high-quality.
- Translation: the book is bilingual (French-English), which means English texts must be translated in French and French texts must be translated in English.
- Author's rights: everybody agrees on the fact that authors must be paid for their work. They receive a share on the selling price, however, the actual sale often happens quite a long time after they are done with their part (a couple of years sometimes). Yet it is possible to give them an advance on their author's rights to avoid such a time gap but only if the publishing house can afford it. Donations shall allow us to give Mahmoud Alkurd and Momen Ashour an advance on their rights.
A lot of smaller fees will allow us to create this book in good conditions until the release date. Those spendings are necessary: going to and from the graphic designer's office or the printing compagny's office, the translater's wage or PR...
For 1,000 copies:
Machine test: €600
Graphic design: €1,500
Image treatment: €1,000
Photographer's retainer: €1,000
Writer's retainer: €400
Travelling and others: €600
Based on our budget, you can see a chart explaining basically how costs are shared: